Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a crank/no start issue on a 2004 ford f250 with the

Customer Question
Hey George, i have a...
Hey George, i have a crank/no start issue on a 2004 ford f250 with the 6.0 engine. The truck threw a CMP code, so I replaced the camshaft posiion sensor and it still will not start. There is also a ICP low signal code and 2 glow bad glow plugs. The FICM read about 45v so I assume that it cant be cause the no start issue. My batteries also seem to stay at about 10.4v with the key on, and 11.6v with the key off. The truck also threw a Battery Voltage Out of Range code but I'm honestly not certain what that entails. Any ideas?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
8/29/2015
Ford Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

Normal battery voltage is 12.6 volts so if you are only seeing 11.6 you need to remove them and have them tested. Low voltage would account for the code and the no start.

Once you are sure the batteries are good you need to see that the charging voltage is 13.5 or higher at 1500 rpm, if it is low or nothing the alternator must be replaced as well.

let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

I got a jump from another truck last night, let the batteries charge on that truck for about 30 minutes and the batteries did, at the time, take a charge. However the truck still would not start. And my batteries are now back down to 11.6v. I just hooked up a slow battery charger and I'm going to try again here in about an hour just to make sure. If the batteries check out, what would be the next step?

If the batteries are junk then they will not hold a charge. They are the basis for all the electronics.

If the batteries are junk they will not take more than a surface charge so take them out and have them load tested at an autopart store for free. I'm pretty sure they will fail so replace them. If the alternator has been trying to charge them for long it will be overheated and need to be replaced as well

Alrighty I got impatient and went ahead an put a new battery into the truck. The truck cranks a hell of a lot faster but it still will not start.

Do you have one battery or two?

What is the voltage when you are cranking the engine if you measure at the battery posts?

I bought one battery seeing as how the truck used to only run on one battery in the first place because I had bad battery connectors on the second and so the second battery stayed unconnected for about 6 months. As far as testing the voltage while cranking, I'm using a multimeter to test the battery posts, so I'll have to get a buddy to help crank while I hook the multimeter up so thats gonna take me a second. I'll let you know the voltage while cranking as soon as they get here.

Your diesel need a lot of cranking power to spin the engine, if it falls below 9.6 volts while cranking then the electronics will store the low voltage code and not have enough voltage to get the engine running.

See what happens but I think it all comes down to low voltage while cranking.

Thanks

Ok now I have two new batteries reading about 13v, and the truck still will not start. The 2 older batteries were indeed insufficient however.

What do you notice while it is cranking?

Does it sound normal?

Do you smell fuel? Is there white smoke?

With low battery voltage the electronics can be damaged so you may have to go back with what you have done before. The codes came back or are there no codes now?

Everything sounds the way its supposed to. Theres no smoke from the engine or tailpipe but the codes are still there. Theres is not any smell that I can notice. I did however clean the EGR Valve last night while waiting on a that friend, it was quite dirty but still progress.
Sorry, no progress.

So what are the codes?

Will it cough on quick start?

P0401, P0528, P0671, P2285 and P2614. But I just randomly tried to start it and kept ot cranking dor about 15 seconds (I know thats a bit of a long crank time) but it started, then died! It started though! However it wont keep an idle and it has started a couple times now but will not keep alive! I'm getting somewhere!
Sorry, P2614 is gone now.
Also, what is a "cough"

OK, so maybe it is just trying to get it started and you are washed down.

A cough is when it tries to start for a second when you spray a little starting fluid in the intake. A good way to tell if you have a fuel problem or a mechanical problem.

I am going to OPT OUT of your question, I am the first to admit I do not do diesels but when you posted the battery voltages I knew they were junk so In wanted you to get that right before you moved on with the rest. The battery is the base for the rest of the system.

Glad you got the batteries replaced but I will let another tech help you with the no start.

Thanks ya boss!
Ford Mechanic: James, Ford Technician replied 2 years ago
James, Ford Technician

Hello, new expert here. I can assist you with your concern. It's good you got the camshaft code to erase. The P2285 will create a no start. This means the icp sensor and connector are bad. When you're move the icp sensor you will see the connector is covered in oil. You will need to replace the icp sensor and connector. The heat destroys the icp connector. The icp sensor is 1"1/16 size socket and is mounted on the high pressure oil pump cover. This is under the turnoff course and isn't a fun Job. If you have a scan tool that can monitor live data while trying to start it would be easier. Replacing the icp sensor and connector will allow this vehicle to run again.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

I do, in fact, have a scanner that reads the ICP live data, and during cranking it will get as high as 1.01v but usually about 0.9v. I have already pulled the ICP sensor and it seems to check out fine visually.

Icp psi needs to be 500psi in order for the injectors to fire. The Ficm voltage shouldn't drop below 45v when trying to start the vehicle. Make sure the PCM sees an rpm signal as well. If you aren't getting an RPM signal I would remove the camshaft sensor and clean it's mounting surface off. This can make the difference between starting and not starting. If you can update with these results we can go from there

The ICP reads at about 750 psi, while the FICM gives about 48v. I do get an RPM signal that reads 631, but I personally dont know if thats enough to start the engine or not. But ive gotten to the point that the engine starts after I replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor, but only for a maximum of 2 seconds before it dies again.

If you remove the the top fuel filter cap is it full of fuel?

It has fuel, but I no longer have time to do this, I need my vehicle. I'm just gonna take it to the ford dealership and have them fix it.

Well I'm sorry you don't have more time to correct the concern. I'm sure we could have gotten it repaired. This engine of course does take some time to diagnose.

James, Ford Technician