Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

have had some sporadic problems with my f250

Customer Question
transmission. had the truck 5...

transmission. had the truck 5 years now, this sporadic hard shifting problem has happened a few times, not frequent or consistent. when I am driving, i will slow down or get to a stop light and then when you take off it doesnt want to shift to 2nd, when it does it shifts really hard, same when it shifts to 3rd. I can stop the truck turn it off for 10 15 seconds and sometimes that "fixes" it sometimes it doesnt. also sometimes the overdrive light on the shifter is flashing when this is happening, sometimes it is not. I decided 3 years ago to have a service done on the tranny at certified transmission after taking it to them 2 different times to have them check codes and try to figure it out, they never could. Now just in the past couple months it has started to happen more and more frequently and I am wondering if I can do anything before I wind up having to replace the tranny. After I had bought the truck and had it for a year I called the guy I bought it from about something else and we were talking and he told me he had to replace the transmission in it a year or so before I bought it from him so it is not the origninal tranny, he said he bought an original ford tranny the "beefed up" one since he did use it to haul loads every now and then. also, the past 4 years, we have had to haul water, so it has had more use under load although the water place is only 5 miles from home. I am going to attach below my post from 2 years ago talking about this same issue for you to please read through so you have full details. need advice thanks. From 2 years ago: transmission is shifting hard sometimes. I had asked this earlier in the month and was not able to come up with anything. What happened is I had it serviced over 6 months ago, the tranny was replaced on this a few years ago and it had around 30k on it so I got the service done at a Certified Transmission shop. I have only driven it about 5k in the past 9 months now since the service, no problems at all. a few weeks ago, the OverDrive light started flashing on the shifter and it was running over 2k rpm before it would shift, and it would shift really hard into each gear, I was 5 miles from home and got it home. let it sit overnight, drove it and it was fine, did not do it again at all until today. I drove it to town which is 30 miles, went fine, did my business truck sat for 4 hours, I drove it another 10 miles, more business and truck sat 1 hour, got in it and it started the hard shifting thing again. I took it straight to Certified Transmission and they checked it, could not find anything wrong they told me that there were no error codes or something along the lines that it doesn't store the code. anyway they drove it and it was fine. I went and picked it up, got about 10 miles down the road, and it started doing it again with the OD light flashing. I drove awhile got somewhere I could stop and shut it down, pulled the key let it sit for 60 seconds or so, started it up and drove home with no problems at all. What is going on here? I would appreciate someone that has an idea of what it is to reply as I have been out here already once with no luck, last guy told me to have the codes read. I took it to an autoparts store, and they said there was nothing, and now today Certified Tranny tells me the same thing. Thanks. Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/transmissions/80s5z-f250-transmission-shifting-hard-sometimes-asked.html#ixzz3jZh7s0OJ
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
8/23/2015
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

I find it very odd there are never codes stored. That rarely ever occurs. Its almost like the keep alive memory circuit for the PCM is faulty and every time the truck is shut off the PCM forgets all prior stored info. Anyways this is occurring because the transmission has an issue the PCM is detecting which results in it maxing out the line pressure. The 2 most common issues are the TR/MLP sensor on the drivers side of the transmission and the torque converter. These things can be monitored while driving to see if there are errors or slipping that can trigger codes after it occurs for a long period and causes these symptoms.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Hi Chris I am wondering what steps I can take to resolve, what do you suggest?

I would first off try to get it scanned while the OD light is flashing to try and get some codes.

Hi Chris, it is impossible for me to do that. I live 30 miles from town and it never does it consistently. I can drive to town and back no problems, then it will start up whenever. Like I mentioned above, I have taken it in there and one time it was acting up, Certified transmission said there were no codes. I am concerned it is damaging the tranny and need some help figuring out what I can do, again I cant get it to read and live so far away if it is acting up by the time I get there, it has stopped doing it.

Not being able to diagnose the cause makes finding and fixing the cause so much harder. Are you able to remove the transmission and overhaul it if needed? The only parts I could recommend replacing are the converter and MLP sensor, but I have only verbal symptoms to back up that.

Hi Chris i umderstand how hard it is to teoubleshoot something like this and alpreciate your help and insight. I dont think i would want to try to overhaul the tranny myself. I am trying to head off having to do that and looking for any ideas i can get. Its been going on now for some time and seems to be getting more frequent. Could i replace the mlp sensor and how much would that be? What about the converter? I do alot of my own mechanic work but dont have a lot of tools or a lift

You can replace the MLP in about 10 minutes. They are about 60$.

To replace the converter, the trans has to be removed. The part is about 350$.

Can you give me a diagram or what I need to replace the MLP and I will get you paid, thanks Chris.

You declined the service that allows me to upload files.

not sure how I would have even done that Chris, can you give me some direction as to what to change? never had that problem before

I just sent another offer to you for you to accept.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician