Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I have a 1988 Full Size Bronco, with 300.000 miles on it,

Customer Question

I have a 1988 Full Size Bronco, with 300.000 miles on it, 5.0 with air and auto trans. This am after warming up the vehicle, I started to work. after about 3 minutes, my truck kicked a couple of times, then started blubbering and I made it into a parking lot and it died. I tried starting it a couple of times and it acted like it wanted to start, but wouldn't. You can hear the fuel pump pressurizing, and it is getting spark, not the greatest but there is spark. I changing the air bypass, and cleaned the dist cap. It ran good till it stumbled and started blubbering. I had it towed home, where I was doing the work. I checked timing marks with position of the dist. rotor, and they seem to be in the position they should be. After cranking it off and on for about an hour, I happened to notice that the upper radiator hose was sucked flat, but have had no cooling problems. I don't know where that water went. The truck ran great yesterday.
Hope you can help,
Kevin Winn
Category: Ford
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 2 years ago.

Hi Kevin,

You have been a good cust and i didnt know if you were aware but we are now offering a new way to answer your questions by letting me call you. It cost a few bucks more but is a hell of a lot easier and you get a LOT more info... Interested?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have the extra cash to get into a phone conversation at this time. I may need my cash to repair my vehicle. Any help you could give me now, would be great.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't get any info from anybody on the problem I was having with my truck. I was thinking about all that I had explained, and stopped by my auto parts store on the way home, and bought a new coil, took it home and installed it, and my Bronco fired up, and runs great now. I will keep this website around in case I have other problems.
Thanks *****

Hi Kevin,

Thats the whole problem with diagnosing electrical issues online. Now if the vehicle was in my shop we would use the old school oscilloscope and checked the primary and secondary wave forms coming from the coil and caught it right away. I do take my hat off to you for even attempting to cure this without a scope and am glad its back up and running.

Take care my friend!

LJ