Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Idle very rough and blue smoke and gas smell out tailpipe on

Customer Question
2001 f150 5.4...
Idle very rough and blue smoke and gas smell out tailpipe on 2001 f150 5.4
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
8/20/2015
Ford Mechanic: Eric Gardner, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Eric Gardner
Eric Gardner, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thanks for using just answer.

I would like to help guide you through the process of diagnosing your vehicle.

I have read your description of the problem, and from what little information I have this sounds like there is/are bad ignition coils that are bad. The blue smoke is unburnt fuel and that's why you sense the smell of gas emanating from the tail pipe.

There are 8 ignition coils on your engine so the easiest way to determine which of the coils are bad, you would need to have the the check engine light scanned. If you can retrieve the code by having the computer scanned by an autoparts store or a shop. Please let me know the code and I can guide you through the next steps.

Thanks,

Should I change spark plugs and injectors to

Lets not go that far yet. That would cost a ton of money and we just need to fix the fault causing the issue. If you get the vehicle scanned at an autozone to pull the check engine codes we can get this narrowed down and get this fixed fairly cheaply and easily. Let me know what you find regarding the codes. Thanks

Eric Gardner
Eric Gardner
Eric Gardner, ASE Certified Technician