Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  MasterCertified Technician with 35 years experience, Owner of two full service repair facilities
36867192

I have a 2002 Ford Thunderbird with 43,000 miles. Yesterday

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Ford Thunderbird with 43,000 miles. Yesterday when I tried to start it and turned the ignition key nothing happened. I tried several times, each time nothing - it was as if contact wasn't being made. Then I tried yet again and it started up just fine. Later in the day the same problem again. It as if there is a loose wire. I'm afraid to drive the car because I might get stranded. I 'm wondering what the problem might be? Something wrong with the ignition switch? Weak battery? One person suggested it may be a short in the instrument cluster. It's not happening today. Can a Ford Dealer run diagnostic tests if it isn't happening now?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 2 years ago.

Most likely you are dealing with an anti theft malfunction issue, sometime when ignition keys get worn these types of malfunctions can occur, Yes the dealership is the best shop for the job bec ause antitheft issues require equipment only the dealership has, once the failure is diagnosed and a part is replaced vehicle will not start until antitheft system is reprogrammed by the dealership.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I haven't had the car long, so when you mentioned anti-theft I thought it doesn't have anti-theft... that can't be it... but I just checked the owners manual and it looks like it does. It was a Premium model so maybe it would... I thought anti-theft was only on the Tbirds with keyless entry... Thank You this sounds promising... I was thinking it might be an instrument cluster...Is a Lincoln dealer better set up to work on the Tbird than a Ford?

Take your pick, Ford Or Lincoln either dealership should be able to help you, please rate my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not, ask me another question, i am here for you until my answer satisfies you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
i will call you as soon as you accept the offer and enter your phone #