Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have 2008 Ford Edge and it has been running sluggish, not

Customer Question
seeming to want to change...
I have 2008 Ford Edge and it has been running sluggish, not seeming to want to change gears or slips when changing gears. I have no warning lights or service engine light coming on? I'm concerned that I may need a new transmission. I see that a lot of other owners seems to have similar problems. 1 time it completely would not change gears. I pulled over turned the engine off and then a few minutes later turned it on and it ran fine.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
8/15/2015
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Lets try a few things.

Drain the trans oil.

Refill with Mercon 5

Drive 2 miles.

Drain the trans oil

Refill with Mercon 5 and a bottle of LUBEGARD.

Drive it 2 miles then adjust the fluid to the max fill line when idling in park.

Disconnect both battery cables and hold them together for one minute.

Reconnect the battery cables

Start the car and engage every gear, without moving, staying in each gear 5 seconds. Going to each gear 5 times.

Drive slow up to 30mph and brake slowly to 0mph 3 times. Then do the same up to 55mph

Now everything you can do prior to internal transaxle repairs has been done.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician