A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

Just change the booster out on a 2007 ford edge and now i

Customer Question

just change the booster out on a 2007 ford edge and now i have no pedal and the tail lights stay on ????????
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
Did you completely remove the brake master cylinder or did you leave it attached to the brake lines and just move it out of the way?
The brake lights are on because the brake light switch on the bracket for the brake pedal got pushed in and changed the settings on the plunger. You will have to replace the brake light switch to fix that problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I completely removed the master cylinder
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the booster with a motor craft part, I bleed the brakes and got no air , but pedal goes th the floor
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Ok. The brake system will need to be completely bleed of air and also the ABS hydraulic section will need to be properly bleed with a scan tool that can electronically bleed the valves in the ABS hydraulic control unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a scan tool is that something I can buy or will that require me to go to the dealer?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

You can go to any independent repair shop and have it done. You do not have to go to a dealership.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I get a pedal after bleeding brakes enough to drive it to a shop ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a fraid it won't stop
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

You can try. You will need to bleed the master cylinder first on the vehicle. Have someone pump and then hold the brake pedal down while you loosen the lines on the master cylinder.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was going to bench bleed it first
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

You can do that first, then place it on the vehicle and crack open the lines while someone pushes the brake pedal down to get some of the air out of the lines between the master cylinder and the ABS module.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this why the pedal feels like power assist only works when the pedal is almost to the floor?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Yes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the name of the scan tool I need to bleed the ABS unit if I choose to do this work again?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

There are several out there. Snap-On makes them. Autel and OTC. They are not cheap.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a bunch I thought I needed a master cylinder for this car , it had a pedal when my friend brought it but the pedal was hard and the booster was hissing
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome. We take the intake manifold off, then unbolt the master cylinder and position it aside with the brake lines still attached. Then remove the booster.