Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Reinstalling new cylinder head..... I 't have a

Customer Question
Reinstalling new cylinder head..... I...
Reinstalling new cylinder head..... I don't have a "bigass" socket for the driveshaft to align the timing belt cutout things. So I took it off not at TDC. How can I ensure I don't have problems? Also, there were no problems with the head gasket.... no
leaks. Should I measure the head and the top of the cylinder still?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/14/2015
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Are you asking for the timing steps?

Prior to answering what needs to be checked, why are you doing this repair?

Oh, check the images.15 psi compression on one cylinder, misses below 3k RPM. Clearly a burnt valve from diagnostics and from the picture.
I am asking for "what to do" advice beyond the factory instructions.How clean should the mating surfaces be? Should I measure them before reassembling even though both engines had good head gaskets and ran well, except for the burnt valve.
http://imgur.com/a/38BEW

Yes you for sure should clean the head and block surface with a scraper then a wire brush. I like to wrap a 2x4 in 200 grit paper and block sand the surface just a little to get it good and smooth and clean as well to identify any high and low spots that may need to be addressed to get proper sealing.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician