Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

My 2002 f150 has loud knock when starting then goes to a

Customer Question

My 2002 f150 has loud knock when starting then goes to a quiet knock.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

From what you seem to be describing may be a valve on the engine.

When the spring goes bad or is broken on the valve, it will have a loud knocking sound that goes to a quite tapping sound once the engine oil is warm and can get into the spring on the valve.

The best way to determine this issue is to remove the valve cover off both side of the engine and inspect the valves. If it is a spring, the spring can be replaced without removing the head. If it is the valve, the head need to come off and the valve replaced.

Don't drive the vehicle too much for the issue will get worse and you could cause the valve to drop into the cylinder and wipe out the engine.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy