Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer. Both turn signals 't work. They

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer. Both turn signals don't work. They blink a few times and then stop working altogether.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a 2003 Ford Explorer XLS. What is concerning me is that my truck wouldn't start today. It just clicks but won't turn on. I can call AAA to get a new battery, but I am worried that this turn signal problem will drain the new battery.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The turn signal problem started a few weeks ago. The signal used to stay on for a few seconds, but it got worse and now will only blink once and then stop working. When it does blink, the yellow front light does turn on, so they are in synch.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.

Techs here are restricted to one issue per post, which would you like me to help address?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think I resolved the previous issues with my 2003 Ford Explorer so I will focus on what has been a bigger issue...The gear gets stuck on Park. The brake pedal is attached to a rectangular plastic part which is half white and half black. When I manually push this "rectangular box-like" plastic part upwards AND press the break at the same time, then I am able to change the gear. This is a problem because I have to push the plastic box up with one foot and press the brake pedal with the other foot.How can I get my truck to change gears without me having to push this plastic box up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
These are two images of the brake pedal with the plastic white/black rectangular box.

That is the brake pedal position sensor which powers the brake lights and the shift lock. Odds are your driving with no brake lights either. The sensor is internally faulty at the contacts or the wiring to it has a poor connection in the connector. Without touching the sensor, with the pedla pressed, see if moving the wiring alone addresses this, if not then a new sensor is needed.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris