Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

03 Ford expedition security system issue. The car short

Customer Question

03 Ford expedition security system issue. The car short honks 4 times on lock and 2 times on unlock.
parking lights flash 2 times on lock and 1 time on unlock.
When working properly there are no honks and the lights only flash once on lock.
I need some ort of legend like this but for the 03' model.
Found this elsewhere on here for an '08 Expy:For future reference.
2 honks = Hood is open or brake is depressed
3 honks = One of the doors is open
4 honks = Tach is not programmed
5 honks = Key is in ignition
6 honks = System is in Service/Valet modeI suppose I could just call the dealer.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To clarify, I would like a complete solution to this problem as well as the datasheet for the deciphering the honk codes.
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.

Hello does you key fob have 6 buttons on it? Does it also have a remote start?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
^ 6 buttons? Don't know why you think I have 6 buttons. This is a '03 stock xlt Expedition. The above honk sequence example is for a 2008 expedition as stated. I need to understand the sequence for my '03 to help solve this problem. Standard 4 buttons fob, lock, unlock, rear window and panic.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
^ 6 buttons? This is a '03 stock xlt Expedition. The above honk sequence example is for a 2008 expedition as stated. I need to understand the sequence for my '03 to help solve this problem. Standard 4 buttons fob, lock, unlock, rear window and panic.
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
I asked a question to see if you have a 6button fob from ford with security and remote start. The honk diag you have is for a generation two remote start failure. The factory vehicle does none of this. If you have some sort of aftermarket alarm installed you can have this issue as well. As long as your vehicle doesn't have an aftermarket item from Ford then the horn honk chart won't apply to you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Apparently your having trouble reading my issue.
As I stated, and the honk diagram is an example of what am looking for except that it is an '08 expedition not an '03. The vehicle is 100% stock including security system." I need some sort of legend like this but for the 03' model. Found this elsewhere on here for an '08 Expy"
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry but that isn't how it works. The beeping system is to assist with the remote start function not working. Ford offered a remote start or remote start with vehicle security. I have installed hundreds of these systems. These systems are still considered stock through. If you have a ford Sustem like this then I could assist you better but I'm not sure what your concern is? If you feel I am lying to you I can iopt out so someone else can assist you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Again, no remote start on my '03. The honks are indeed an absolute fault and only appeared a month ago after 11 yrs and 180K miles. Yes, please transfer me to someone helpful.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
More info regarding my issue can be found here: http://www.expeditionforum.com/f41/my-2003-expedition-short-honks-4-times-lock-2-times-unlock-27313/#post223985
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Most pathetic "online help" experience ever. Not one single word of helpful information. justanswer FAIL.