James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Getting a Po61B with the wrench light on I have a 2007 ford

Customer Question

Hi getting a Po61B with the wrench light on I have a 2007 ford explorer , sometimes engine just races by itself and does not shift right if you turn it off then back on usally goes back to normal it usally happens right after you start driving I purchased truck with 36000 miles on it and ever since i bought it sometimes it would buck like crazy if you did not let it completely warm up but never had any lights on and once you let off the gas for a second or two it was usally fine I now have 84000 miles does not matter on the temp outside i can usally tell that the wrench light is going to come on soon as i start driving because when you start it it will race up to about 2500 rpm then slowly go back down to normal idle any help would be greatly appreciated
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. I am sorry to hear about your concern but it is fixable. The P061B code shows there is an internal error in the PCM itself. Usually this error can be repaired by simply having the PCM calibration updated to the latest calibration. If the code reoccurs after this then the PCM itself is going to need to be replaced. This isn't a repair I would attempt yourself but usually module reprogramming isn't all that expensive from dealers.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could there be anything else tied to the Pcm causing this problem as I said the truck runs fine 95% of the time if not more and no lights come on Exedra
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Most of the time you update the PCM and this will correct your concern. When you go to the pinpoint test it says not to replace the throttle body. If you had throttle body codes I would suspect a bad throttle body. If the vehicle was stalling I would suspect the crankshaft sensor could be causing it. I wish I had a better answer for you. Part of it says the egr module can cause the concern as well. If you unplug the egr module and measure the resistance of pin 2&6 it should be greater than 2k ohms. If not it says to replace the egr module.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hey how are you? I just want to see if I can still offer you assistance? If my answer was helpful please remember to leave me a rating so I receive credit for assisting you. If you have any other questions please let me know?