Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

One question about F-150 5.4 Triton 2004. after crash we

Customer Question
Hello i'm Serge, one question...
Hello i'm Serge, one question about F-150 5.4 Triton 2004. after crash we cange the 2 came phaser and distrution chain. Now withe coold engin is ok,but after some km. the engin come noisy like a diesel. we stop en desconnect and reconnect the batterythe noise stop. have you one sulution for me. sorry english is not my mother thong.
Thanks for you time.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
8/8/2015
Ford Mechanic: Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner replied 2 years ago
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

When it gets noisy does the check engine light come on?

Why did you change that phasers?

Hello Wayne, no light alert, thr oil pressure is correct, We change the phaser after fronta crash with a cow. we change complet kit timing chain, tensionner and phaser. after we see big usure inside the timing box
But before the crash the engin are not noisy.

It sounds like a bad phaser. Do you have a scan tool with live data?

no phone please i'am in dominican republic

No problem. The site automatically offers a phone call. Just decline it.

the scan is ok and the noise is comming only after 5-7 km hot engin. i disconnect and reconnect the computer (battery) and the noise go and com back after
Problem with the rocker arm spring is possible ??
The engin was out of the car during few weeks, without oil

I dont think so. I think its a problem with the phaser. What are the phasers doing when it starts running bad?

no i start cold engin without problem, no noise and with good engin power, only after few km (engin hot) the noise is comming and the power engin is down.

So youre telling me that a base engine mechanical problem would wait a few KM to appear?

with cold engin is perfect.

Mechanical problems as a rule do not tend to come and go. Electrical problems do.

i think, after the deconnection of the battery, the engin run correctly por few minuts

Again that points to an electrical issue but you are telling me its a mechanical issue.

I find, the noise is mechanical, but......

The noise is mechanical but the symptoms point to the cause being electrical.

what i do ?
came faser sensor ? computer? ???
on the last scan,evrythink is ok

Check the readings on the phasers when its running bad.

ok

Let me know what they are showing and we can move on.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician