Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

E99 (Early 99) Ford F350, 7.3 Diesel. I tow a 3-Place Car

Customer Question
E99 (Early 99) Ford...
E99 (Early 99) Ford F350, 7.3 Diesel. I tow a 3-Place Car Hauler with this truck. While driving, I lost ALL BOOST... Yes, I have a Boost Gauge on my Truck (Analog).
What is causing this truck to make NO BOOST?
I recently did the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve (EBPV) Delete and things were fine afterwards. I have also recently rebuilt the Turbo and upgraded to the Wicked Wheel 2 (Billet Aluminum). I also changed the Up Pipes (Y-Pipe) with the Fram Blue Donuts but did little of nothing for the Boost Improvement
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
When I pulled the Intake Tube off, I can see the wheel spinning but not very fast. I am thinking it has something to do with the WASTEGATE being open or losing Exhaust between the Headers and the Exhaust Wheel inside the Turbo. The Wicked Wheel 2 was Balanced with a new shaft.
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/8/2015
Ford Mechanic: John Vieira, Ford Mechanic replied 2 years ago
John Vieira
John Vieira, Ford Mechanic

If the wastegate is closed and you blocked it off then it should make boost and build pressure. 5 10 15 pounds easy. When you rev it up. So either the compressor wheel or the turnbine wheel either one or both could be an issue or it could be a shaft, make sure you have no exhaust leaks between the manifold and the turbo. Any even the smallest exhaust leak between the exhaust manifold and the turbo charger will greatly reduce boost.

This is the Problem and it makes No Sense. The Turbo Shaft and Both Wheels are NEW (less than 5,000 old) and they were working fine. I was getting somewhere around 19-23 pounds of pressure at the High. The Compressor Wheel (Wicked Wheel 2) has ZERO damage, ZERO Shaft Play. The Armature of the Wastegate moves and I have rev'd up the engine to 2,500 RPM with the Wastegate in the OPEN and CLOSE position using my 48" Prybar and there is NO DIFFERENCE. I would hear the Exhaust Noise if it was much of anything. The vehicle was working fine with the Turbo Whistling and then nothing. So the Turbine Shaft is Balanced and moves freely, opening and closing the Wastegate does nothing. My Thought process is telling me that the Wastegate had a mechanical failure and is stuck open and therefore not able to develope any boost. There can be a minimum Exhaust Leak but very minute, the New Donut Gaskets are still in place and have not moved. GREATLY REDUCING is an understatement, it was pushing 17-20 lbs of boost one seconds and then the next second it was not registering at all. I even checked the Turbo Housing and no cracks there. I am at a loss.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician