James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

2014 f150 headlights wont shut off

Customer Question

2014 f150 headlights wont shut off
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. When the headlamp switch is unplugged the headlamps will stay on. So you need to plug in the headlamp switch. Where was the vehicle wrecked at?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Headlights stay on All the time when everything is hooked up truck was wrecked in front end I unplugged headlight switch and they still stay on
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
You are correct when you unplug the headlights they are going to stay on so it needs to stay plugged in. Do you have a scan tool that can test the body control module?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
My only thought without testing for codes would be a defective headlight switch. I don't want to have you just throw parts at the vehicle. A scan tool is very helpful since the headlamps go through the steering column control module.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
trying to get somebody with scan tool to come over and read it for me wondering if you have wiring diagram for headlights that you can show me thanks
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
I sure can. Do you have HID headlamps or standard headlights?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hid
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay the website has been down to get you the wire diagram but it should be up shortly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
high scanned truck read 17 modules has no codes in any module if you could call me in next couple hours I will have scan tool thanks(###) ###-####
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Does your scan tool have an option for steering column control module? If there are no codes it's likely you just have a defective headlamp switch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
headlamp switch works on meter I think daytime running lights are staying on all time don't know why pull left wire off headlight blue with red stripe has power all time has a ground and if you turn headlight switch on another wire gets hot, I think its daytime running lights staying on do you know what I can check
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Yea the website is still down but I am trying. The headlamp switch will have power going to it at all times. When you turn to headlamps the switch supplies a ground to turn them on. When the daytime running lamps should only activate if the vehicle is in gear and shut off while in park.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where is the switch that turns drl lights on when you put in drive
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zvct915mq8x0a4z/2015-08-09%2010.57.11.jpg?dl=0
The body control module performs this when it sees it is in gear. There isn't a simple switch for this anymore. It sucks of course but if you have a scan tool that can Change items like programming the daytime running lamps can be turned off.