James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 2000 Expy EB and the rear end is sagging to the

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Expy EB and the rear end is sagging to the stops. How do I check the Height Sensor to see if it is working?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The front end stays inflated but the back is down to the stoppers. I had a friend use his Code Computer to isolate the rear baffles and I jumpered the compressor to fill the rear airbags every 10 months over the past several years. Now I wanna fix the problem instead of band-aiding it down the road.Today I replaced the Air Suspension Relay with one from the wrecking yard (so it may or may not work). I replaced the pigtail harness plugging into the relay. Tested the wiring harness plugging into the relay and found I have a constant Hot, Return Neutral to the compressor, I have a good ground on the third wire (control of some sort) and nothing coming on the 4th wire (the green & blue one).As far as I can tell, the only thing left to try to repair is the Air Suspension Module or the Height Sensors on the rear.Am I right or am I missing something? HELP! Its my daily driver and I cant drive it like this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As far as the compressor goes, I can jumper it to the battery and it runs just fine. I can jumper the Hot to the Compressor Return wire at the Relay and it turns the compressor on & off. Both types of jumpers make the compressor run and send air to the front (I think) but definitely no air going to the rear bags.
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. Is this vehicle new to you?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. I've had it for 5 years. This problem started not long after I bought it. As mentioned, I've had a friend use his Scan Computer to isolate the rear bags and then I jumper the compressor to the battery to inflate JUST the rear airbaffles. After I posted, I went out and removed the Height Sensor in the rear (it's 4WD), and tried actuating the piston on the sensor to hopefully get the pump to come on and nothing happened. Then I started the engine & the compressor instantly came on and filled the back baffles slightly. It's up off the stoppers now but still hanging very low.Hope this helps.
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
That does help as it sounds like your height sensor is bad. My first recommendation was going to be to loosen it with the key on and see if the air compressor kicks on when you move it up and down. If it doesn't I would start with a bad height sensor. Hopefully that is the full issue. Once they fill up you want to make sure they don't leak back down oflvernight and cause the sagging again.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.