Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a '98 Ford E250 and the turn signals have stopped

Customer Question

I have a '98 Ford E250 and the turn signals have stopped working. I replaced the flasher module and checked the fuse and then I replaced the signal switch. I don't know what else it could be.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.
There are two fuse that power the turn signals, did you check them both, the fuse to check are the #7 and the #11 fuses located in the interior fuse panel.Check both of them for me and post back with the results and we can work from there. I have enclosed the wiring diagram for reference as well. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Turn%20sig%20Aug%206.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both are good. The hazard lights work fine.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Do you have power into the new switch on the white /red wire and the blue wires from the flasher?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I turn the emergency flasher on I have power but when I hit the turn signal, I get nothing.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The blue wire is the feed wire from the flasher to the turn signals at the switch, do you have power on it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The hazard switch or the ignition switch?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

At the turn signal switch see if you have power out of the flasher on the blue wire with the turn signal on. While your checking it also see if you have key on power at the turn signal switch on the Purple /orange wire as well as the Lite green/red wire. Post back with the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have power on the Purple/orange and Lite green/red wire but nothing on the blue wire unless I turn the hazard lights on. Signal switch on doesn't give it power.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Do you have power at the flasher on the same blue wire with the turn signals in the on position ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I get nothing with the turn signal on the blue wire with the ignition switch in the on position. Only the hazards give the blue wire power.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
If you do not have power at the flasher and or the switch on the blue wire that would indicate a defective flasher.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the flasher and it didn't fix it.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If you have power in to the turn signal switch as you indicate and the 4 ways are working and no power at the blue wire from the flasher to the switch there really is not much else it can be. Are you sure the new flasher is the correct one and just not defective.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll see if they have another one but the one they gave me, I was told, was the replacement for it.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

I would sure check it, if the 4 way are working that eliminates the switch and the wiring to the 4 lamps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to the Ford dealership and purchased a new flasher, I put it on and it still doesn't work.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
The only thing left would have to be the circuit from the flasher to the turn signal switch, are you sure your crimps and connections are okay on both ends? Something is being overlooked here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't see anything broken and if it's a loose crimp it would work intermittently. It was working fine until yesterday and my driver went to a call and came back and told me it wasn't working, so I tried all the usual stuff and that's why I asked you guys. I thought maybe you could figure out what I didn't.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

You know the circuit is okay from the flasher to the switch on the 4 way circuit out to all the lights, the problem has to be in the circuit from the flasher on the blue wire to the switch. You should have battery voltage out of the flasher on the blue wire to to the switch. Unfortunately I'm not there with you to do the testing and at this point I'm not sure why you do not have it.If you would like , I can open the question back up in hopes that someone else has something different to offer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll see if there is a wire that may have an internal break. I just can't understand how I always seem to get Fords with electrical issues.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Take a close look at the crimps , poor crimps are very common of Ford unfortunately. The switch is good, the flasher is good with proper power to it, really does not leave much else.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, thanks.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Your very welcome, I'm getting off right now but I'm here all day tomorrow if you need me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you please send me a full chassis wiring diagram so I can see what else it might be because my instrument panel light have stopped working also.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
I can not send the complete chassis diagrams as there are to many to fit in the forum, if you can tell me which circuits you need I can send them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The instrument panel, ignition switch, and anything else that might effect these two issues. This happened to another van I have (a 96 E250) that now sits in my driveway and it won't do anything when you turn the ignition switch on and it started out the same way. It started out the radio would stay on after you turned the switch off (I replaced the ignition switch) and then the dash lights quit, then the gauges wouldn't work and then everything quit. I don't like Ford vans anymore.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

See the ignition switch in the first link.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Igntion%20switch%20Aug%207.pdf

See the instrument cluster in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Instrument%20cluster%20Aug%207.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Cluster%203%20AUg%207.pdf