A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

THAT THE LIFT GATE IS THE REAR WINDOW. MY PROBLEM IS WITH

Customer Question

IM SURMISING THAT THE LIFT GATE IS THE REAR WINDOW. MY PROBLEM IS WITH THE TAIL GATE (THE ENTIRE DOOR). THE LATCH GOT STUCK THE OTHER DAY AND IT WOULD NOT CLOSE. I HIT THE REMOTE LOCKING MECHANISM A COUPLE OF TIMES AND WAS ABLE TO LATCH IT, BUT NOW IM UNABLE TO OPEN IT. HOW DO I ACCESS THAT LOCKING MECHANISM?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
You will have to remove the rear hatch trim panel from inside the vehicle. It will be a little tricky with the door closed, but it can be done. Open the rear hatch window, then remove the pull strap from the inside of the panel and then unclip the top of the panel from the top of the hatch and then the push pins where the glass latches to the hatch. Then slide the panel up and off the rear hatch.
The latch is operated by cables. The cables are known to break apart and cause the lift gate and rear hatch to not open. Pull on the cables to open the hatch.
They are plastic sleeves with metal cables inside. Pull on the metal cable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What next? How do I complete the job?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

You have to replace the broken cables that only come with the latches. Depending on which ones are broken.