Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2001 Ford Taurus Wagon hesitates when I apply the gas, then

Customer Question

2001 Ford Taurus Wagon hesitates when I apply the gas, then jumps into gear. Thought that I got bad gas; put in Lucas treatment. Problem got worse.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric Gardner replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

The description of the issue at hand leads me to believe that the transmission is slipping, especially since it is getting worse. I would advise checking the transmission fluid level and condition.

To check the transmission fluid level:

1. Transmission/transaxle temperature must be 150-170°F (66-77°C). With vehicle on level ground, apply parking brake, and run engine at idle. Shift gear selector lever through all ranges, ending in Park.
  2. Fluid level should be in crosshatch area on dipstick. If transmission is at room temperature, fluid level should be between 2 dimples on bottom of dipstick.
  3. Add fluid as necessary. See RECOMMENDED FLUIDS . DO NOT overfill. Check condition of fluid for contamination and burned smell. Ensured dipstick is fully installed.

If the fluid is up to the correct level and not dark brown or black, we can go on to further diagnosis.

Let me know your findings.