Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a 2001 Ford f350 4x4 I replaced both front outer hub

Customer Question

Hello I have a 2001 Ford f350 4x4 I replaced both front outer hub bearings and ball joints. Now when I drive the truck it makes a bumping metal grinding type of noise but when engaged in 4x4 it goes away the passenger side axle makes a weird noise in toward the differential when rotated thank you!!!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** nis caused bya bad wheel end assembly on the right side, they are vacuum operated, and when yo start the truck, the vacuum is applied to the hweel ends if its in 2wd, and if the wheel end does not fully disengage, it will make this noise, then when put in 4wd, the vacuum is released and the wheel end engages and the noise goes awy, this is very common on these, eithr its a bad wheel end, or the new bearings are nit sealing letting the wheel end hold vacuum,Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I put manual lockout hubs on the vehicle it sounds like it is almost in the differential
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
if you lock the hubs, but dont put it in 4wd, does the noise go away?