Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I've got a 1993 Ford Express (15-passenger), about 115k

Customer Question
miles. The gear shifting has...
I've got a 1993 Ford Express (15-passenger), about 115k miles. The gear shifting has been asking up. Right now I'm halfway through a family vacation: I've got 8 people in the car plus a ton of luggage and when the car is going into fifth gear (around 55-65 mph) it has a delayed shift. When I try to accelerate, there is a delay for a second, a loud REVVING noise, then suddenly it jerks into gear. It only happens occasionally (about once every half hour) and only at around that speed. It has not happened very often, and the last time I remember it happening is last year when we made the same vacation. Do I need a new transmission? Right now I'm 14 hours from home and I would rather wait until I get back home to get it looked at. How urgent is this? If the transmission is going bad, how quickly will it get bad? Could it die at any moment? Or am I safe driving 14 hours back?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 day by:
8/3/2015
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Unfortunately you may be going to need a new transmission and or it could be an electronic control systems fault as well.It is going to be very hard to determine if its going to get you back home without any further problems. I would at least consider having it scanned and see if there are fault codes setting which will be very helpful in determining on weather its worth the risk or weather it can be resolved before you make the trip home. Most Auto Parts store suck as Auto Zone will run a scan for you at no charge. If you can get this done and post back with the results I can advise you from there.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician