Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2007 escape hybrid. battery pack cools fine.except when

Customer Question

2007 escape hybrid. battery pack cools fine.except when front a/c is on,then it gets hot.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 2 years ago.

Can I please have the VIN number for your Escape? I want to check for any known concerns or recalls from Ford. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1FMCU49HX7KB61595

Ok. I see you had the coolant pump recall done. When you turn the front ac on, what do you start to notice?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A/C works fine. I have a scan gauge,it shows battery pack temperature rising to over 100-120 degrees. Vehicle will not go electric over 96 degrees. If I shut down the A/C, battery temps will go down in about 10 or 15 minutes to normal again.

Do you have the code numbers you received from the computer?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There are no codes showing

Have you verified that the hvtb fans are actually coming on?

Have you experienced engine shut down due to this?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can hear the fans running. They are new.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No engine shut down or warning lights.

There is a thermistor that is hard wired to the HVTB battery for temperature input. It is possible that this thermistor is not reading the correct temp. According to the shop manual, if you are having high temperatures, and the fans are working and the cooling system (the a/c) is working then then problem is the actual HVTB battery itself.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It reads fine when the A/C is off. The low pressure line(in the rear) is cold when the A/C is off. With the A/C on it stays warm.

I do not understand how the low pressure ac line can be cold when the ac off. That makes no sense. I will opt-out and maybe someone else knows whats going on. Another expert may be along shortly. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The hybrid battery will turn the A/C on regardless of the dashboard setting. You need to get a hybrid expert for this.