Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Expedition: Shawn, p0171 on 2005 Expedition

Customer Question
Hi Shawn, p0171 on 2005...
Hi Shawn, p0171 on 2005 Expedition
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
I have also replaced the upstream O2 sensor on passenger side
I typed all this into a prior screen but I don't see it here - so retyping. No codes before I did major work to fix timing chain slap. I've replace the timing chains, tensioners, guides, cam phaser sprockets, crank sprocket, oil pump & tube, water pump, oil change, coolant refill - 197k miles. A chain guide was completely torn into pieces, nothing left in place - the other 3 were fine. So after putting it all back together it sounds great mechanically! just a rough idle, poor power, low mpg and this one code
I've checked for vacuum leaks on the pcv and cant find any also. I don't simply want to change the parts that might be the problem, I'd rather pinpoint the problem and replace 1 part.
I left out, I changed all COPs within the last year and changed 6/8 plugs when I had it torn down. I could not get #3 and #4 out ... plan to take it to someone with bigger torque bar as I couldn't get them to budge. I would think I'd get another/different code if one of these plugs is now fouled or something.
8/1/2015
Ford Mechanic: Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech replied 2 years ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative. i need more information is this a 4.6 or 5.4? do you have scan tool and is it showing misfires? if so which cylinders? please let me know thanks
2005 Expedition, only 5.4L. Scan tool on showed the 171 code. I wish it gave misfire codes ... Much easier to troubleshoot :)
what scan tool you have?make and model #
Ron, ASE Certified Technician