Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Taurus: I have a 2006 Taurus, the as all of a sudden while

Customer Question
I have a 2006 Taurus...
I have a 2006 Taurus, the as all of a sudden while driving turned from cold to hot. Next day I saw that the 10amp ac clutch fuse was blown. Every time i ut in a fuse and turn on the ac it blows also if the car sits for over 8 hours it blows. Than a couple of days later the dash display shows a charging system failure, it goes on than off now it will not start
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
7/31/2015
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and thank you for you question, If the AC clutch fuse is blowing the problem may very well be a failed compressor clutch, the quick way to check it would be to disconnect the AC clutch at the compressor and install a new fuse and see if it holds.The charging system failure is not likely related and in most cases is caused by a failing alternator, the place to start with this is to get the battery charged up so the car will start and then install a voltmeter to both post at the battery with the engine running and check the voltage, normal charging voltage on a properly working alternator should be right at 14 volts. Check these things for me and post back with the results and we can work from there.
When I went to the car and had to Jump the car. This time while driving the abs light also came on. Are you sure their isn't something that is causing all this.
If the alternator and or the battery are weak and your not getting the proper charge it will effect all sorts of electrical systems including the ABS due to low voltage. The place to start is to have the battery charged and it and the alternator tested. You may have a problem with the ABS but I would get the charging system checked first. If you had to jump start the engine then its obvious the battery was dead.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician