EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

Ford F-150: Skipping and miss firing, replaced plugs and fuel

Customer Question

Skipping and miss firing, replaced plugs and fuel filter, didn't make a difference.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Did you replace any ignition coils? What are your current misfire codes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I havent and there are no codes. The check engine light is not on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I unplugged the egr module trying to get the cel to come on did not work. Light will come on when u switch key on. Truck runs fine until it heats up to operating temperature, let off the accelerator and hit the pedal again and the engine will missfire 3 or 4 times then smooth out again, until u let off the pedal again.
It sounds like you do have an ignition misfire. Which I would suspect a coil. Even though there is not a light on pending codes can be read by some scanners. Also there is Generic OBD Data that can be viewed to see which cylinders have misfired. So all that needs a decent scan tool. But what you can try without a scan tool, is to purchase 1 coil. And put it in a cylinder and see if the concern goes away. If it does then that is a skipping cylinder, if it does not, change the coil to a different cylinder.
Hi. Have you made any progress with your truck?