Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Ford windstar: 03 ford windstar rear air not blowing cold front

Customer Question

03 ford windstar rear air not blowing cold front air will freeze your b#*$ls off have removed rear panel and checked actuator it is fine and door is moving replaced rear expansion valve vacuumed down system and put in 3.5(56oz) freon ???????????????????
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
also looked at lines under van to make sure one of them was not smashed or crimped they are fine
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.
With the rear AC commanded on, are the rear AC lines freezing cold and wet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no they are dry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it is like there is a restriction in the system somewhere that is why i replace the expansion valve
Something has to be restricted then, this new expansion valve has to be clogged just like the prior one or the evaporator is clogged and not allowing freon flow. Open the lines to the rear evaporator and see if you can blow through it in both directions. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when i had the expansion valve off and the gauges still hooked up i took an air hose and blew into the line it seemed to have a lot of back pressure but i could here air coming out from the front of the vehicle where the gauges where hooked up on the low pressure side
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
you will get a good rating i'm a mechanic myself just not very familiar with the rear air systems
When the AC is on, the freon is going to flow through the rear system regardless of the temp you have set. The expansion valve is what restricts the high pressure liquid freon and begins the process of turning it into low pressure vapor, that is what makes the air cold. I am still leaning to a restriction where as freon is not flow through the rear system.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
from what i could find out there is no other type valve or filter for the rear except for the expansion valve the front has the orifice tube is that correct
That is correct.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i will check it out hopefully tomorrow it is a taxi so down time is ?????
Super