Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford explorer: I have a 2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition

Customer Question
I have a 2003 Ford...
I have a 2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition 4.0 litre 4x4. has manufacturer recommended tire size installed...
I hear a clicking from under the drivers side front. I thought it was the hub assembly\bering so I changed it.... not it. SO I changed the CV axle on both sides....Still making the sound. Is this a ball joint making this clicking noise? the sound can be loud or quiet just depending on how long I've been driving it in a day. definitely a loud clicking though not a banging, ive also heard that it may be the transfer case?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
the clicking noise is loudest as you straighten out the vehicle. If you drive 20-30 feet it kind clicks but to no real rhythm.
I should also note that I noticed the sway bar is slightly bent and the linkage on the passenger is showing more wear than the drivers side. I just replaced the linkage on both sides 3 months ago and Ill have to replace it again in another 5000 to 10000 km due to the passenger side being worn out(at that point)
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/25/2015
Ford Mechanic: John Vieira, Ford Mechanic replied 2 years ago
John Vieira
John Vieira, Ford Mechanic
Hi I will be happy to assist you with this issue today. I am thinking it could be the drive line. Is it a grease bale front end? Some are grease able, please grease it, there might only be a couple of grease fittings on it but they need to be greased. Also, is it aluminum wheels? Aluminum wheels will creek if they are the slightest bit loose.
no I haven't come across any grease nipples. ball joints are sealed. It happens after straightening out after a turn.
they are also oem rims
been to the tire place twice, its definitely not a creaking is a metallic clicking sound, almost sounds like a card in the spokes of a bike tire but stops shortly after straightening the wheel and driving about 30 feet. happens at various speeds but is loudest after driving on the highway and then driving around a neighborhood..
The tire place did mention that a ball joint was showing some wear.
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 2 years ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
Is the Explorer AWD (All Wheel Drive) or electronic shift 4x4?
It is electronic 4x4. And the stick shift binds when trying to put it into park, you have to ease up on it and then pull in the shifter and put it in to park.
Im starting to think it's the transmission
It sounds like it, but I am not a transmission technician. If you would like, I can reopen your question to the other experts that handle transmissions.
If you feel like its a transmission thing than please.
I also got the u joints changed and the transmission serviced today but the sound is still there.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician