Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

My SUV 2009 drains within 12 hours

Customer Question

My SUV 2009 drains within 12 hours
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet.
You have a parasitic drain, which is a drain on the battery when the ignition is off, key out. There are no service bulletins or recalls on this, which just means no known common concern.
This makes it more difficult to diagnose as it is an open in a wire or an electronic component, of which there are over 6 miles of wiring and scores of electronic components in your vehicle.
It will need to have a parasitic drain test performed to first find the circuit it is on, then each wire and each component on that circuit individually tested.
This can take from a day to a week to find, depending upon the circuit the drain is found to be on. So you have to have patience and expect to be without your vehicle for a while.
If you have an automotive electrical specialist shop where you live, that is the best place to take it to. If not, then a Ford dealer would be the best choice.