Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  MasterCertified Technician with 35 years experience, Owner of two full service repair facilities
36867192

Ranger: I have a 1999 ford ranger 3.0 engine 4x4 automatic

Customer Question

I have a 1999 ford ranger 3.0 engine 4x4 automatic truck my rear end is bad and it's still a nice little truck and since the rear end is bad I want to put dis brakes on it so here's the question what year of the Explorer would I go and get I know my gears are 410 limited slip because my axle code is f7
Category: Ford
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 2 years ago.
Your issue would not be what year Explorer to be able to get a match on the rear end, you need to determine for sure what ratio the rear differential is, your 99 Ford Ranger with a 3.0 did not come from the factory with a 410 limited slip to my knowledge, to get the right replacement used differential with disc brakes you need to count the teeth on your ring gear and on the pinion gear, then divide the number of teeth on the pinion gear into the number of teeth on the ring gear, this will give you your actual gear ratio you would have to do the same on the replacement used unit as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I ran my vin number and on it the tag on door jam it says axle f7. What does f7 mean
the ratio is not on the door jam and it is not vin Specific, usually only trim codes and vin # ***** [prod date are listed on door jamb, not sure what f7 pertains to.
i will send you an offer to discuss further on the phone