Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Thunderbird: My 2002 T bird is overheating when the AC is turned

Customer Question
My 2002 T bird is...
My 2002 T bird is overheating when the AC is turned on. You can drive all day in all traffic situations and it will not overheat but turn the AC on it will overheat. The hydraulic fan assemble has been replaced, the thermostat has been replaced, all hoses has been replaced, the reservoir tank has been replaced. The engine computer show no failure codes. the Engine has been tested for a blow head gasket and was found to be good. The car has about 60,000 miles with no problems until about a month ago. About all that is left is to replace the radiator. Got any other ideas to cheek before I go to the radiator. It appears that it is becoming a cool weather car when no AC is needed.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
If I have to replace the radiator does the factory radiator have built in transmission cooling. I see both with and without listed on line as a direct replacement
7/20/2015
Ford Mechanic: Super Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today..They are sometimes bad about the radiators clogging up and causing an overheating. You can have that tested at a radiator shop or feel around the core when the engine is hot to see if there are any cool spots that would indicate a clog. It was made with an external cooler for the ATF, which is better for the trans. .However, with any engine that runs hot, overheats or has been overheated it is best to check the integrity of the engine, (head gaskets and heads, etc.). The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases. . Block tester available is: Napa BK.(###) ###-#### ***** Tester AUTOZONE Part Number:27145 http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search .*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures*** ... If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust. If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head. ..Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here..
The engine has been tested for exhaust gases in the coolant and it was good no head gasket blown. It is also not loosing any coolant nor oil and water mixed. I think the radiator is the most likely since all other issues have checked ok or been replaced.
Normally we get paid for the original answer(s) before any follow ups, but yes that does sound like the radiator, (as I stated in the first reply), Thanks
Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic