Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer: Chris, You helped me with a blower

Customer Question
Chris, You helped me...
Chris, You helped me with a blower motor diagnosis on my 2000 Ford Explorer (Eddie Bauer, 4.0 SOHC). I mentioned I had a couple of other problems that I would send your way. From what I've read online, I think they are related (at least the 1st 2 of them...).
1. The 4WD Hi and 4WD Low lights flash intermittently.
2. The windows do not operate from any switch.
3. The rear window wiper does not come out of park position to wipe the window.
The check engine light is not on, and no OBD codes
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
7/20/2015
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
The website only allows us to help with one concern per post, which concern would you like me to help with?

Apologies for taking so long to get an answer back. I got delayed on other issues. The 4WD Hi / 4WD Low flashing intermittently would be the issue to help with. From what I've read online, it sounds like it is associated with the GEM or sensors in the differentials. It also sounds like the power windows not working is related to it, but let's go for working on the 4WD lights flashing as the problem.

The flashing 4wd lights, means there are codes stored. Have you had it scanned. If not then the diag steps are much longer and they are shown below. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/00explorer4x4.pdf You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris

I have an ODB2 scanner, and it reports no stored codes. It can also display live information, but there is nothing there that seemed helpful. I had the scanner connected while driving and refreshed it while lights were flashing - still no codes. I have noticed that the lights first flash when the car is first started after all systems "boot" (air bag light goes off, seat belt light goes off). Then they flash 6 times. Every 2 minutes after that, they flash 6 times again. The only consistency is the 2 minute interval. The way the vehicle is being driven at the time (cruising, accelerating, coasting, up hill, down hill, cornering) does not affect when they flash - only the 2 minute interval affects it.

Thanks for your help.

See if your scan tool can watch the commands to the 4x4 shift motor, if not then its your scan tool that is not sophisticated enough to access this module to get the codes.

OK. Car is my son's daily driver, so it may take me a day to get to it. I'll try tomorrow evening. If not then, it would be Friday evening. I'm going to assume my scanner is not sophisticated enough - it was the least expensive one that could display live data, and I needed that for a specific purpose when I bought it. I've seen suggestion that people go to AutoZone since they have scanners. Would theirs be sophisticated enough? There is one just around the corner and it is my preferred parts store.

The Auto Zone tools are rarely able to check codes outside of engine concerns.
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician