Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Expedition: I have a 2005 ford expedition 5.4 2wd with 115K.

Customer Question
I have a 2005 ford...
I have a 2005 ford expedition 5.4 2wd with 115K. It seems it is starving for fuel. Changed the fuel filter, changed the fuel pump. changed the coils... If you lightly accelerate it is fine. if you try to force the accelerator it lugs down and has no power. it did give a #5 misfire but changed the coils. any idea?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
7/19/2015
Ford Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. Does it act like there is a rpm limiter suc as not want to go over 3000 rpm?

yes, it seems like it.

This is a common symptom of a clogged catalytic converter. You can completely remove the front oxygen sensors to relieve exhaust pressure. If this allows it to run better you know the converter is clogged. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try and let you know.

Sounds good, keep me updated. Thanks.

I was just thinking about this issue. If it was the catalytic converter, wouldn't it give a code?

No a clogged catalytic converter will not usually turn on the check engine light/give code. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

ok thanks... Ill keep you informed.

Sounds good, have a great day!. Thanks.
It wasn't the converters. Any other place to look?
Did you test by removing oxygen sensors?
Yes
Unplug the mass airflow sensor and let me know if that helps. Thanks.

I'll give it a try and let you know...

Ok, thanks.
Unplugged the mass air and it runs worse. Maybe I should poor gas on it and burn it.

I think next step is a fuel pressure test. Let me know what pressure goes up to while reving engine and if gauge is steady, thanks. You can also spray fuel into throttle body to see if that allows rpm to go up more if so you know problem is fuel related.

The fuel pressure is fine....

The problem is not at ideal in park.. (It revs up fine) once you are under a load, it starts bolging down when you try to accelorate. for instance, driving down the road at 50mph is fine, but if I try to pass a car (when the rpms reach 3000 the truck starts sputtering....

Any new clues would be great.... And thanks for trying to help me?

I'm out of ideas, I'm going to open question up to see if someone else has some ideas. Do not reply or question will be locked to me only, someone will reply automatically when they can help. Thanks.
Dan, Technician