Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

Mustang: The gear shift button on my 2002 Mustang is locked

Customer Question

The gear shift button on my 2002 Mustang is locked and won't allow me to shift out of park
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry the Tech you requested was unavailable to assist you today. It appears that Tech is currently "Offline". Now that his 15 minute "request lock" has expired, hopefully I can be of some assistance in his place...When the shifter will not release from Park, first, check the brake lights and see if they are working when you step on the brake pedal.If the lights are NOT working, first, check fuse F2.33 in the fuse box under the driver's side dash. If the fuse is good, the problem will be in the Brake Pedal Position Switch located at the top of the brake pedal arm. This switch controls the rear brake lights and also sends a signal to the shift interlock telling it to release when the brake pedal is depressed. Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. Inspect the switch mount and contact points for any broken or misaligned parts. If the visual inspection checks ok, replacing the switch will solve the problem.If the lights ARE working and still not shifter release, the problem will lie in the Shift Interlock System. The Shift Interlock SOlenoid will need to be tested and inspected. It's located mounted to the side of the shifter assembly. The shifter assembly itself will also need to be inspected for any bro***** *****nkages or parts.Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept.