Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I'm getting "Check Engine" light on 2007 F-150. Code P0

Customer Question

I'm getting "Check Engine" light on 2007 F-150. Code P0446. Fuse is good. I rang the wiring from B61 to the violet/white wire on the EVAP solenoid, less than 2 ohm. solenoid resistance is 62 ohm's.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no voltage at the solenoid connector
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the solenoid clicks when I put 12 volts to it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where does the green wire go to
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. Welcome to our site. I'll address your comments as posted:Solenoid resistance at 62 Ohms - solenoid OKNo voltage at solenoid connector - should have voltage when actuated with scan toolSolenoid clicks - solenoid OKGreen wire - Different circuit for different engines. What size engine are you working with?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
4.3 v6
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can make the light go out with my hand held scanner, but comes right back on with next startup.
I have no information on a 4.3 v6 engine. What is the truck's VIN? Turning off the light (MIL) does nothing to diagnose or repair this issue. Can your hand held scanner read engine data (PID)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No i think it just gives the code.
VIN 1FTRF122X7KC92491
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
4.2 V6 sorry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I re-checked the voltage on the solenoid connector with the ignition on and the engine not running, .35 volts.
Thank you for that information. According to the VIN you posted, the engine is a 4.2L V6. Code P0446 on this system means there is an open in the KAPWR circuit that controls the EVAP solenoid. To repair this issue, you'll first need an Ohmmeter to trace and find the open, then you'll need to solder the wires together (crimp-on connectors would create too much resistance) and weather-proof the soldered joint.From personal experience, I have found splice S113 to be the source for most of these problems so I would suggest you check there first. S113 is located between the battery and the firewall (see attached graphic).Please let me know what you find.