Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Ford Escort LX: i have a 1989 ford escort lx... i recently

Customer Question

i have a 1989 ford escort lx... i recently replaced spark plugs and wires and now my throttle body pops and has rough idle and runs best when in high rpms... I've checked spark to all 4 spark plugs and they are sparking... with the engine running i took the intake top off of the motor and sprayed starter fluid in the throttle body to see what it does and it kills the motor if i spray any longer than 1 second.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. Welcome to our site. There are two things that I would check to make sure they're OK. One is the firing order (see attached graphic), the other is the EGR valve - to test it, with the engine running at idle, spray choke cleaner on the valve. If the idle stabilizes, the EGR valve is leaking and needs to be replaced. Kindly accept and rate my answer now if you think the information I've provided has helped you solve your issue. Otherwise, please reply. Best Regards.