Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Explorer: I have a 93 explorer that I am having starter problems

Customer Question

I have a 93 explorer that I am having starter problems with. Original problem was engine would barely turn over but always started until one time it didn't even with jump. Replaced the starter and solanoid and positive battery cable. Battery and alternator checked out good. Now when I try to start it I either get just a click or nothing and the positive wire running from the fender mounted solonoid to the starter is very hot to the touch. Can you give me any idea of cause.I have checked and cleaned all connections and can't seem to find the problem.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.
The cable getting hot indicates an excessive amp draw, Have you check to be sure you have a good ground from the battery to the frame as well to the engine block?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have cleaned and checked the frame connection but not the block. Is that where the large ground wire from the battery connects? Should I replace the battery ground cable?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
I would check it first, It may just need to be cleaned. The cable heating up means you have a high amount of resistance and that can cause an excessive amp draw providing you new starter is okay. The ground should run from the battery to the frame and then to the engine block. Grounds are very important on a DC system.