Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford F350: I have a 2004 F350 Powerstroke 6.0L Diesel engine.

Customer Question
Hi I have a 2004...
Hi I have a 2004 F350 Powerstroke 6.0L Diesel engine. I had Check Engine light "On" because of a bad Glow Plug. I replaced the Glow Plug and cleared the DTC. The Check Engine light is off now, and I have been driving the truck for over 250 miles, but the EGR system monitor still shows "Incomplete" and I can't pass CA Smog check. How can I force the ECU to complete the EGR System Monitor? I already done 3+ Drive Cycles. Thanks in advance.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/16/2015
Ford Mechanic: Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner replied 2 years ago
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.The egr is kind of tricky. What exactly are you doing during your drive cycles?
Hi Wayne, Thank you for the quick turn around. Below are the Drive Cycle instructions I have been following:"The Ford Diesel Engine Drive Cycle is very unique and must be followed preciously. The Ford F250 Diesel Engine Drive Cycle below should set all the OBDII monitors, including the EGR monitor.
On models with Power Take-Off (PTO), be sure to disengage the PTO system before performing the drive cycle. Perform the drive cycle as smoothly as possible and avoid rough roads. Be extra cautious in traffic.
Ford Truck 6.0 Liter Diesel Engine Drive Cycle
1. Turn the ignition on, but do not start the engine until the WAIT TO START indicator turns off, or 10 seconds has passed.
2. Start your truck's engine. Allow the engine to idle. Ensure the transmission is in Park or Neutral. Idle the engine for 40 seconds. Before proceeding, turn all accessories off and disengage TOW/HAUL (if equipped).
3. Begin driving... accelerate steadily to 3rd gear (A/T) or 4th gear (M/T) and keep the engine RPM at 1500 RPM for 3 seconds. Continue by accelerating steadily from 35 MPH to 65 MPH in about 15 seconds (A/T) or 11 seconds minimum (M/T). Repeat this procedure three times while maintaining conditions set in this step. The following conditions must be followed to run OBD-II monitors that require the engine to be under a load, one of which is the EGR monitor.
4. The driving portion of the drive cycle is now complete. Stop vehicle and allow the engine to idle for 20 seconds in Park or Neutral. Turn the ignition off. Start engine and allow engine to idle for 40 seconds in Park or Neutral. Drive cycle is complete. Turn off the ignition and do not start the engine for 30 minutes; while the ECU is performing additional self-tests.
5. Repeat the drive cycle at least twice. Check for READY OBDII monitors using a scan tool. This will avoid having a smog test administered to only find out that the EGR monitor is still not ready. If you don't have a scan tool, most of the larger auto parts stores can scan for trouble codes/ready emission monitors for free."
I have also been driving the truck at 55MPH constant cruise control speed on the freeway for 30+ minutes.
Try the attached procedure. It should work for you.
Great. I'll try it and will let you know. Thanks
No problem. Thats the one I always use when a typical drive cycle wont do it and it always works so it should. Just let me know if it dont work out and we can try to dig deeper.
Here is the procedure from ford Drive Cycle Procedure:Key on. Do not crank until the WAIT TO START light cycles, or at least 10 seconds, whichever is greater.Start the engine. Idle in PARK or NEUTRAL for 40 seconds.The following outlines the appropriate conditions for running certain OBD monitors that require the engine to be under load:Accelerate steadily to third gear (M/T use fourth gear) and hold at 1500 RPM for 3 seconds. Accelerate steadily from 35 mph to 65 mph over approximately 15 seconds (M/T 11 seconds minimum).Repeat Step 3a three times while maintaining the conditions in Step 3a.Before proceeding, turn all accessories off and disengage tow/haul.Before continuing, EOT must exceed 60°C (140°F).Idle the vehicle for 20 seconds in PARK or NEUTRAL.Key off.Start the engine. Idle in PARK or NEUTRAL for 40 seconds.Rerun Quick Test.Note: If P1000 is present after running the drive cycle:Rerun Step 3a, being certain to maintain a minimum MFDES of 35 mg/stroke above 2,000 RPM for 11 seconds. Also, maintain a minimum MFDES of 30 mg/stroke above 2,800 RPM for at least 6 seconds.Rerun Step 8. MFDES must remain below 12 mg/stroke for 11 consecutive seconds. Pay attention to the note at the end. Thats the only thing you could be missing. Hopefully your scan tool had the MFDES PID
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner