Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford Escape HEV: I have a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid that I rarely

Customer Question
I have a 2008 Ford...
I have a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid that I rarely drive. Sit in the garage most of the time. Has about 110 thousand miles on it. Usually runs great. I tried to start it the other day and when I turned the switch on, everything came on, but when I turned the key to the start position nothing happened. The battery is good and I tried jump starting it. It's been about 6 weeks since I last drove the vehicle. What do you think the problem could be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
7/14/2015
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Hi there,Do you hear a click type noise or anything when you try to start it?
No
Ok, This is usually a problem with the range switch on the transmission. Try shifting the car into neutral and then back up into park. Try starting in neutral while it is there. Normally no click means no power to the starter relay or the starter solenoid and this is what makes that connection. If it's a manual transmission then it's usually the clutch safety switch that causes this type of problem. In that case we normally make a jumper wire to bypass the switch. I think all the hybrids were automatic however so please give this a try and let me know.What happens next:Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.
I've tried shifting to neutral and back to park several times but it does not make any difference. It has an automatic tramsmission
Ok, do you have a test light so we can do some testing here?
I'm sorry. I'm at work right now and won't be able to do any testing.
Ok, I will be on later if you would like and we could do some testing on this. It sounds like the issue is with the range sensor on the transmission to me. Of course, we do have to run some tests first to be 100% sure. Like I said, I will be here later so you can post then if possible and we can get on this for you.
Does the large battery in the back that drives the vehicle when the engine is not running have anything to do with the engine starting?
Sorry, i can't be sure. It looks like it might but since I am not sure I will open this up to the other experts. Please don't reply to me or it will lock it to me and they won't see it. Please, also wait to rate the expert that can help you.
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 2 years ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Hello, try and push in on the ignition key when cranking it and pushing on the throttle to see if it starts and runs
HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans