Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Crown Vic: Need help with a 1989 Crown Vic that won't star

Customer Question
Need help with a 1989...
Need help with a 1989 Crown Vic that won't start.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
7/10/2015
Ford Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing more. Do you have a volt meter to do some checking ? When you tried to Jump the car did you hook cables directly to the battery ?
It sounds to me like the issue is a bad engine ground , we will need to do some checking with a volt meter though. Let me know. We can continue tomorrow. Lou.
I've been trying to reply, but the system wants to charge me $28 dollars again...
I have a small multi-meter which lets me check volts.
No if it's trying to charge you that means you are starting another chat , you can just reply to this one as much as needed , it's a little tricky first time but you'll get it. Ok good enough. Try jumping the car with one positive lead on battery and the other on the engine itself first and see if it cranks over healthy. If not use the meter on positive on the battery positive and the negative on the engine block or metal on the engine somewhere and make sure it's the same as the battery volts reading.
The system seems to be working now. I was trying to respond with an iPad. Now I'm using a laptop, and it is working correctly. Back to the car... So I assume if the voltage is not reading correctly, I need to track down the negative battery cable, and the make sure things are grounded? Is there a ground strap from the block to the frame somewhere? Also, there is only 1 wire that goes to the starter. Does it ground through the casing where it bolts to the block?
oh yeah, ios doesnt seem to work to well with just answer, ok, so the negative cable will track right to the block, there may be a additional one near the back and the firewall, as for the starter wire there is the one that goes from the output of the solenoid to the starter and thats it., yes i am thinking its a ground issue, hope this helps,. Lou.
OK. I'll check all of this out tomorrow and let you know how it turns out. Thanks.
ok, let me know, i will do my best to help you resolve this, Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉
Keep in mind that rating me does not end the chat, it simply credits me for assisting, i will still be here to help if follow up information is needed , Lou.
Tests/Procedures: 1. With the starter relay engaged, do a voltage drop test between the battery positive terminal and the heavy-gauge Black wire at the starter, and between the battery negative terminal and the metal case of the starter. To voltage drop test the positive circuit, put the Red lead of a DC voltmeter on the battery positive terminal, and the Black lead of the voltmeter on the Red wire at the starter. To voltage drop test the negative circuit, put the voltmeter Red lead on the case of the starter, and the Black lead on the battery negative terminal.
2. On a voltage drop test, the lower the voltage reading, the better the connection. A good circuit will always be less than 0.5 volts. Anything higher indicates a poor connection in the circuit. Service the battery cables or connections as necessary, to get the voltage drop below 0.5 volts.
Lou P.
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician