Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Ford Mclaren mustang: I have an 89 mclaren mustang that while

Customer Question

I have an 89 mclaren mustang that while it was running my son pulled off the main distributor wire, got a pretty good shock, and now the car runs terrible. What do you think is my problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 2 years ago.
I bet he did get a good jolt!
Was it running ok before this? Why did he remove the coil wire? Was he testing something?
If it was running ok before this there can be a few things that might cause it to run bad after a voltage spike like that so the more info you can give me the better.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was running fine now when the car is started it vibrates, and when you drive it slow it vibrates, when I drive it over 80 miles an hour it seemed to stop
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no idea why he did, I know he told me that he had started it one morning and it kept cranking after it started, he ended up having to disconnect the battery cables to get it to stop. So I don't know if that is when this all happened or not, but the continuous cranking stopped, however it runs terrible
Thanks,
It probably caused a weak spark plug wire to fail. I think your best bet is just to replace the distributor cap and rotor along with a new set of plug wires. These are all secondary ignition components that get affected from a voltage spike and instead of trying to just replace one plug wire its best to just put a fresh set on because they are all the same age and it would just be a matter of time before another one goes out. The dist cap and rotor are just good maintenance items to replace anyway but with the spike it can be damaged as well.
Nothing major at all, basically just a good tune up so you might as well throw a fresh set of spark plugs in it as well and be good to go for another 40K miles.
I hope that i have provided the information you were seeking. If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you. If you have another question about this please let me know so l can continue to help you.
Larry
I missed that last post you made. The continuous cranking is usually caused by a faulty starter solenoid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah he replaced that and at that time I think that's when he pulled that coil wire off. I'm going to pass this info on to him, and I hope it corrects the problem, I know he's just trying to learn, but I told him not to randomly try things that he knows nothing about. I told him to google info on any problems that may occur. Thank you for your time and help, I will give you good reviews.
My pleasure!
Hey, at least he is willing to learn, even if it's the hard way.
Bet he never pulls that wire off again when engine is running..lol..
Best wishes my friend!
Larry
If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.
Hi there,
I noticed you havent yet rated my service. Did you have another question? If not, kindly use the rating stars so i receive credit for working with you.
If you are having trouble with the rating system just let me know please.
Larry