AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Ford Ranger: I have a 1996 ford ranger 4.0L V6 2x4 xlt extended

Customer Question

I have a 1996 ford ranger 4.0L V6 2x4 xlt extended cab. The check engine light is on and the code shows a problem with the EGR system. I have changed EGR valve, valve solenoid, DPFE sensor and some of the lines but the light will not go off. The vehicle runs well but no one can solve the problem and get the check engine light to stay off.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Can I start by gettin your VIN and the code number in the computer? Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1FTCR14X6TTA63204 Trouble Code ReportDate: 1/11/2015 1:19:18 PMCodeTypeStatusDescriptionP1443 PowerTrain Stored Manufacturer Defined
P0401 PowerTrain Stored Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient DetectedAdditional Information
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry for the delay!
The P1443 code is an EVAP code. Usually this code is caused by a bad purge solenoid.
As far as the EGR code goes, are you sure the passages are not plugged up? If you open the EGR valve with the engine at idle, does the engine stumble or stall out?
Here are the correct voltages from the DPFE sensor to ensure the sensor and system are working properly. You can use a scanner or check the voltage at the DPFE sensor using a voltmeter on the signal wire. The circuit should indicate 0.5-1.2 volts Key On, Engine Off or at idle with the sensor connected. If the sensor voltage does not read within the proper range, disconnect the sensor and re-check the voltage on the scan tool or BR/LG wire. Voltage should indicate 5.0 volts with the sensor unplugged. Check voltage between the Brown/White wire and the Grey/Red wire. Voltage should indicate 5 volts with the sensor connected or not. If the voltage of the DPFE sensor responds after it is disconnected and 5.0 volts is present between the other two circuits on the sensor, replace the DPFE sensor. If the voltage in step 1 is measured to be correct, disconnect the Exhaust Gas Recirculation vacuum line and open the EGR valve with a hand-held vacuum pump when the engine is idling. The engine should run extremely rough and the sensor voltage should increase to greater than 3.0 volts.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see how things turned out and if you need further assistance. Please let me know.
Customer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
VIn # *****
P1443 PowerTrain Stored Manufacturer Defined
P0401 PowerTrain Stored Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry for the delay!
Customer
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?
Let me know!
Customer