George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

I'm replacing the clutch fan in my 2000 F150 (4.6L) with an

Customer Question

I'm replacing the clutch fan in my 2000 F150 (4.6L) with an electric fan from a '99-'00 Mustang using a Ron Francis Wiring dual fan controller. I still need to mount the fan (flush to the radiator, through the fins) and complete wiring, and I have a few
questions. First, there's a certain amount of play in the top radiator mount grommets. Is this normal? Or do I need to tighten them up somehow (since now it will be supporting the fan, too.) Second, where's a good place to splice into the A/C clutch power
wire? Finally, on the Mustang fan, which winding/speed turns on when the A/C is activated? The primary or the secondary? This will help me wire it correctly (the first time).
Category: Ford
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,
See if there is some way or kit to mount the fan on the frame for the radiator and not through the fins. Over time the fins will be damaged.
Pick the AC clutch engagement signal up at the compressor feed wire.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26725849/fand.pdf
copy and paste that link into a new browser window and you can see how the computer uses the low (EDF) and high (HEDF) fan relays to control the speed.
Let me know how I can help
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where do I have access to the compressor feed wire and how can I identify it. I'm assuming it runs from the power distribution box to the compressor itself. If there's a place where I could access both the compressor feed wire and a switched power (hot with key on) that'd simplify the wiring a bit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sure I can figure out how to mount to the radiator frame, even if I just use hardware store aluminum to fabricate something...
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
I don't think you will be finding the dream connection here. Best to run from the single power wire you see at the compressor pulley, for switched power do you know how much current draw it will have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Shouldn't have much of a draw from the compressor clutch power. The fan controller just senses the voltage and kicks on one of the fan windings when the A/C is turned on.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
You wanted switched power not the compressor clutch? if you are just running relays then the fuse block can support a double tap fuse for the lighter feed at #3 in the central junction block.
Let me know how I can help
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is the controller I'm installing. It gets power for the fans from the starter solenoid, but senses switched power for a feature that runs the fans for two minutes after shut-down. It also senses voltage going to the A/C compressor clutch so it can turn on the cooling fan with the A/C. The temp sensor looks like a ring connector, and attaches under an intake manifold bolt.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
That is what I saw, you should have no problem running a tap fuse in the lighter fuse slot and have that power the control.
What can I do to help you with your question
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ah. Yes, that's pretty simple. Any reason I shouldn't similarly tap the A/C clutch fuse in the underhood fuse box? That is, if I can physically fit a tap fuse inside the box?
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
There is no fuse between the relay and the clutch, only a diode. Let me know how I can help Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The #13 fuse under the hood won't work?
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
No, that is the supply to the relay, it is hot at all times.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wound up splicing into one of the wires leading to the high pressure switch, which was more accessible than the connector down at the compressor. Then I made brackets to attach the e-fan to the radiator frame. They were bad. Re-making them today. I have all the wiring running through a grommet near the steering column at the firewall, but it's recommended that the sensor wire be run two inches away from high-amperage wiring—apparently including the power feeds for the fan. Is there another reasonably accessible grommet in the firewall on the driver's side? I don't see one.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
I don't know of a grommet, I look for the pass through of the transmission cable (automatic trans?) and use that sometimes. Let me know if that works for you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it's an automatic. Thanks. I'll look for that pass through.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
OK, that would not have any other conductors. Glad you are putting in the effort on the brackets, in the long run it is much easier on the radiator. Please let me know if I can help Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Everything is finally installed and running. It's been cool here (in Detroit) so I haven't yet gotten the engine hot enough to feel the fan kick in while driving, but the test button does spin it up. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
Glad you got it in, please let me know if you have further questions Thank you