Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Is a VSS unit on a 1999 F250 something I can change out easily

Customer Question

Is a VSS unit on a 1999 F250 something I can change out easily or should a mechanic do it?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.
Are you replacing the one on top of the rear differential?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there more than one? The rear differential is the only one I am aware of.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Your 1999 Should have one on the side of the transmission (output speed sensor) as well as one on the top of the rear differential. Both are easy to change. There only held in with one bolt and you should be able to change ti with no issues. All you need to do is remove the bolt, disconnect the connector and twist and pull on it and it pops right out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Regarding the VSS sensor, you said there were two. If my ABS light is on, the TCIL light is flashing, and speedometer only works intermittently, is it more likely to be the fault of one sensor more than the other?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
It could very likely be a sensor but in most cases if if the ABS light is coming on the computer will set and store a fault code, have you had it scanned yet and if so what is the fault code your getting?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
The most common sensor to fail on the 1999 is the one on top of the rear diff. You may want to go ahead and replace it.