Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Is a VSS unit on a 1999 F250 something I can change out easily…

Customer Question
Is a VSS unit on...
Is a VSS unit on a 1999 F250 something I can change out easily or should a mechanic do it?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/2/2015
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and thank you for your question, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.
Are you replacing the one on top of the rear differential?
Is there more than one? The rear differential is the only one I am aware of.
Your 1999 Should have one on the side of the transmission (output speed sensor) as well as one on the top of the rear differential. Both are easy to change. There only held in with one bolt and you should be able to change ti with no issues. All you need to do is remove the bolt, disconnect the connector and twist and pull on it and it pops right out.
Regarding the VSS sensor, you said there were two. If my ABS light is on, the TCIL light is flashing, and speedometer only works intermittently, is it more likely to be the fault of one sensor more than the other?
It could very likely be a sensor but in most cases if if the ABS light is coming on the computer will set and store a fault code, have you had it scanned yet and if so what is the fault code your getting?
The most common sensor to fail on the 1999 is the one on top of the rear diff. You may want to go ahead and replace it.