Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I had a brand new transmission put in my 2000 f350 diesel reg

Customer Question
I had a bran new...
I had a bran new transmission put in my 2000 f350 diesel reg cab pickup. Truck ran good for a day shifted great. Started acting up shifting. I brought back to tranny place. They did all the tests, everything was fine. they checked out all the pins they say everything is fine. It is an automatic tranny they say if you shift manually works great as well. He says he is 99.9 percent sure its the IDM computer.
My question is: Doesn't this control to injectors? I swapped this once out of my 2001 f250 diesel truck once with this truck because truck didn't start and it worked fine.
He told me I cant swap but I did once before for diagnosing start issues and I ordered a new one for my f250 everything was fine.
Does the IDM have control issues over the tranny. What is happening the truck is racing in rpm's before it shifts then let of gas and it shifts fine.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/1/2015
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Yes the IDM does control the fuel injectors. The IDM has no bearing on the transmission activity. Which shifts are doing this late shift. Late shifts are not a sign of a electrical nor external concern to the transmission. That is valve body concerns and clutch seal and friction plate concerns. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris

Moose,

This guy is a transmission shop. That's all he does. I would hope he knows what is going on been in business a long time.

The transmission and cooler brand new with cooler.

He has pinned everything out says pressures are all good and shifts the way its suppose to.

He says computer problem. He told me The IDM.

what was happening is the tranny shifts fine it would rev up to 3000 rpms then I would let of gas and shift fine.

Something wasn't reading right. could this have to do with the idm for sensoring speed

No it is not the IDMIts not a new transmission, its rebuilt. Ford does not sale new replacement transmissions for vehicles over 12 months oldI understand where the trans tech shop is coming from, its hard to suck up your pride and admit fault in your work. I am a trans tech for a Ford dealer. If this were an electronic issue there would be codes stored. There has to be some code for him to blame the IDM. You may want to get it in writing, replace the IDM and if it still occurs then you get your money back.
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician