Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Cougar: My daughter's 2000 2.5l V6 Cougar started losing power,

Customer Question
My daughter's 2000 2.5l V6...
My daughter's 2000 2.5l V6 Cougar started losing power, she had codes read at AutoZone and we replaced the EGR valve. The tube & intake plenum did not appear to be too restricted, but it did not fix it. She had codes read again, code P0401 (EGR) low flow, as well as P0122 (TPS "A" circuit low). We found TPS sensor connector loose, plugged back in, disconnected battery to clear codes, still there. Replaced TPS, no difference. Also checked EGR vacuum circuit, vacuum to the EGR control regulator was good, but poor going to the EGR valve. Replaced the EGR Control Regulator, no change. Checked voltage while running - it remained at 13v while I revved the engine. The only other peculiar thing about this car is that after replacing the alternator recently, some of the baffling in the catalytic converter fell out of the exhaust pipe when I removed it. It looked somewhat "tumbled", as it had been there awhile - but the car ran ok before & after that event.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
I should clarify to state "EGR Vacuum Solenoid", not "EGR Control Regulator".
7/2/2015
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
The 0401 code normally means the DPFE sensor is faulty, this sensor tells the vacuum solenoid how to control the EGR valve. While running if you apply vacuum to the EGR valve does the engine stall or get close. If not then the ports in the intake are clogged. Do you still have the same 0122 TP code or is it different? You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician