Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

F-250: , I have a 2004 F-250 6.0, I changed the fuel filters…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 2004...
Hi, I have a 2004 F-250 6.0, I changed the fuel filters and now my truck will start sometimes, drives fine when running. I'll cut it off for the night then it will just turn over in the morning. Is this my HPOP? or some other problem?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/1/2015
Ford Mechanic: Ray M., Ford Master Tech replied 2 years ago
Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
If it starts fine once you get it going and starts ok when hot, then it is the FICM module, the internal voltage regulator is failing and the FICM needs to be replaced.
Well the problem is it used to start like after a day. It's been two days and it won't start now, Im checking the fuel filters the top filter when I Crack it a few turns sounds like air escaping when I turn the switch.
I also opened the water drain from the main filter on the frame, does this system purge air by itself.
Is the FICM your only answer?
It will purge air on its own, but if there is a lot of air in the filter under the hood, the pump ma be defective. have you had it scanned for cods and to check injection control pressure?
No I would have to have it towed to the dealership
remove the cap off the filter under the hood and have someone cycle the key while you watch the fuel to see if it rises, if it doesn't, then the pump is bad. Let me know what you find.
Ok
I will wait for your reply.
Is the bowl supposed to get completely full?
Yes,as long as the key is on there should be fuel coming in, for at least 30 seconds until the relay shuts it off.
It does that.
Will the FICM make the truck sputter at 50 mph @1100 rpm?
Not as a rule, once the engine is warm , they usuall run fine.You may have one or more bad injectors as well as a bad FICM.
Ok, it does run fine once it cranks, so to narrow it down if it's the FICM it wont crank? Or is that due to the fuel pump?
If it is the FICM it will crank over but not start when the engine is cold
FYI, I just went and tried it and it crank right up, soo FICM?
That is what it look like, but a sure test is to have it scanned to check the FICM_MPWR voltage when it is cold, this can be done with any scan tool that can read sensor values, the voltage needs to be over 47 volts with the key on and engine off.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician