Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford Escape XLT: just bought my son a 2005 Ford Escape XLT.

Customer Question
just bought my son a...
just bought my son a 2005 Ford Escape XLT. Cruise does not work - rear brake light works, horn works. When you push the button to turn on, no light comes on the dash and nothing will work - won't assume speed - just dead
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
6/30/2015
Ford Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing more. Check fuse 34 in the fuse box. It's called the smart junction box. It's the fuse for the servo in the engine bay. The servo is very prone to failure. But if the cruise light does not come on the dash it is most likely 1 of 2 issues. 1 the buttons have failed or 2 the clock spring contact behind the steering wheel is not sending the proper signals. Here is the test list.
1. Verify ALL brake lights are functioning and repair as needed.
2. In Antilock Brake System (ABS) DATA, monitor for correct ABS wheel speed input as compared to the Speedometer and Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Parameter Identification (PID).
3. Verify battery power is present to the servo on the Light Blue/Pink (LB/PK) wire from fuse 34 (5 amp) of the Smart Junction Box (SJB) and the Tan/Orange (TN/OG) wire from the deactivator switch and fuse 27 (5 amp) of the SJB. Check the Black (BK) wire of the servo connection to verify it is a good ground.
4. Monitor the Speed Control switch input circuit by backprobing the Light Blue/Black (LB/BK) wire at the speed control servo with a DVOM and exercising all the switches. Expected readings Key On Engine Off (KOEO) are as follows: (all readings + or - 0.03 volts).
a) No switches pushed, 8.1 volts.
b) ON switch pushed, battery voltage.
c) Resume, 5.9 volts
d) Set/Accel, 3.7 volts.
e) Coast, 1.1 volts.
f) Off, 0.0 volts.
5. If any individual switch shows an incorrect value, the set of switches is suspect for failure.
6. If all switch readings show an incorrect value, address the circuits, clockspring connection, etc. for an issue.
7. Check the Light Blue/Yellow (LB/YE) wire of the servo to verify it is not showing to be grounded. The Transmission Range (TR) sensor (automatic transmission applications) should ground this circuit when the transmission is in Neutral (only).
8. Monitor the Grey/Black (GY/BK) wire of the servo connection for a square wave signal with changing frequency as vehicle speed changes. This signal is supplied to the servo from the ABS module.
9. If all circuits and signals check to be OK, suspect a faulty speed control servo.
Hope this information helps. If there's more I can help with let me know. I'll do what I can to help. Hopefully something I give you leads you into the right direction or you find the issue.
Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉
Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.
Lou P.
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician