Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Expedition: I am having a problem with my turn signals. The

Customer Question
I am having a problem...
I am having a problem with my turn signals. The turn signal is going off randomly with no action on my part. Replaced the arm unit and which did not resolve the problem.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
6/30/2015
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
When this occurs the front and rear and instrument cluster turn signal flashes? Is it always the same side?Did you check for a wiring issue in the steering column to the multi-function switch like chaffing of the insulation? If so then I suspect its a internal failure of the smart junction box. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
When it does happen, all lights, front, rear, and cluster all light for the given side the issue is occurring on.The right turn signal has been the predominate side that has experienced the issue, but the left side has also shown the same behavior.Since my question asked where the turn signal relay (switch?) is located, I have not reviewed the wiring in full detail. When I placed a new turn signal / wiper arm, the connection at the back of that looked fine and did not have any sign of abnormal wear.Is the smart junction box the same thing as turn signal relay (FLASHER Expedition; w/Signal Mirror System )? Where is this unit located. I looked under the dash near the steering column, but did not see a flasher unit, though I may have missed it.
Forgot to mention that when the signal arm is in the neutral position, and the right turn signal is flashing, if I turn the arm to the left signal position, it stops the right flashing. Sometimes after it is in the left position, the left signal will activate. Hoping just a faulty signal flasher unit.
This vehicle no longer has a flasher relay, that function is now handled by the SJB smart junction box. The SJB is the fuse box inside the vehicle.
.
So I am confused and getting a bit frustrated. So do I need to replace the entire fuse box or is there a unit in the SJB that can be replaced. Looking in the owners manual at what you call the SBJ and they call just describe as Fuses and Relays. I checked the turn signal fuse #6 and that was fine. The only thing that may look like a relay is the #48 with part number 5C3T-14B192-AA P6STD. The user manual calls this part a delayed accessory relay.Also, when I go to FordParts.com, it shows that there is a relay part Number: SF-624.Would greatly appreciate a bit more detail on where the parts are located so that I can take the next step toward resolving this issue.
You need to replace the SJB. It is the fuse box under the dash. It has to be programmed once replaced or the vehicle will not start.
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician