Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford 350: We have a 1997 1 ton gas, changed the alternator and

Customer Question
We have a 1997 1...
We have a 1997 1 ton gas, changed the altinator and still doesn't charge why.ford with a 351windsor
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Ford
6/29/2015
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and thank you for your question, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.
In order to determine why its not charging you are going to need to do some testing, take you 12 volt test light and or volt meter and at the alternator with the engine running and the alternator connected see if you have battery voltage black/orange wire as well as the yellow/white wire and the green/red. Check this and post back with the results and we can work from there.
If you pull the battery cable off it won't keep running, and we are on holidays and don't have tools
If it stalling with the battery cable off then you are correct, it's not charging. In order to determine why we need to check the 3 wires I mentioned.
He can't find the wires you said
Found the black and orange
There right at the alternator in the connector that plugs into the alternator. You would have had to unplug them when the alternator was unplugged.
Found all the wires
Okay if you can get your hands on a standard 12 volt test light you can check all three. Most parts store sell a cheap one that will work for less than $10.00
He said there is no power at any of them
Is he using a test light and is the engine running?
Yes
All three wires need to have battery voltage, the black/orange wire and the yellow white wires get there power from the fuse link located at the starter solenoid on the same post as the positive battery cable connects to, have him follow the black/orange wire over to the starter solenoid and see if you have power out of this wire at the fuse link, if not the the fuse link is blown and will need to be replaced. See the wring diagram in the link below for reference.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Charge%20system%20Jun%2029.pdf
Were would the fuse like be
It connects to the stater solenoid right where the positive battery cable connects. It will be the same black/orange wire that you see at the alternator.
First he found that the wire was broke and he put it back together but still will die when cable is taken off, that solenoid had a puff of smoke yesterday would it need replaced
In order for the alternator to charge all three wires I mentioned have to have battery voltage. Have him recheck them with the engine running, if the power is still not there then he needs to recheck the fuse link, power to the orange/black wire comes from the fuse link and power to the green/red comes from the ignition switch through the cluster.
Post back if you still need more help and we can work from there.