How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask HDGENE Your Own Question
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Category: Ford
Satisfied Customers: 5564
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
Type Your Ford Question Here...
HDGENE is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ford 150 V-8 4W/Drive: I want to drain and replace my engine

Customer Question

I want to drain and replace my engine coolant. My 150 Ford V-8 has 100,000 miles. I need advice where to open proper drains and also do the cars of today have a thermostat that should be changed. Any other comments would be appreciated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 years ago.
Hello the radiator drain is usually on the passenger side bottom of the radiator.Open the 3/4 inch radiator drain an allow it to empty. The thermostat is located at the front of the intake manifold on the drivers side at the engine side of the upper radiator hose. There is a block drain on the drivers side behind the engine mount on the block you can open usually a allen socket. there is one on the passenger side to drain the engine on the right side but you cant access it without removing the ac compressor. refill the system with a 50/50 mix of coolant and distillled water and allow to run to operating temperature with the heater on full temp. full fan until you get good heat, by then the thermostat will be open and top off as necessary